Questions and Answers

If you have any questions and are either thinking of or planning on building a home, doing a renovation, or just have a wild idea on building a lifestyle, please feel free with no obligation to contact us with any questions and we will see if we can assist.

Please see the information below containing informative links to help you in gathering information while deciding on how to take your ideas through to reality. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us or the appropriate organisations.

What is a Registered Master Builder?

Not all builders meet the strict criteria to become a Registered Master Builder.

It is not enough just to be Trade Qualified!

To be a Registered Master Builder, building experience, trade or professional qualifications and practical management experience are assessed. Workmanship is inspected and previous clients contacted, to ensure the applicant’s work is of a high standard and has satisfied clients’ expectations.

In addition applicants must provide evidence of financial responsibility with written references from their bank, public accountant and building material suppliers.  Re-certification of members occurs regularly, with checks on financial viability and more importantly their workmanship.

What Assurances do I get with a Registered Master Builder Guarantee?

The Master Build Guarantees are the most comprehensive products available on the market.  Only a Registered Master Builder can offer Master Build Guarantees .

Master Build Guarantees cover residential building work with a contract price of $25,000 and over and cover full-contract, labour-only and managed labour-only work carried out by a Registered Master Builder. Work by subcontractors, as well as materials and rot is covered, but conditions apply.

It is important to note that the Guarantee is not automatic upon hiring a Registered Master Builder – you must complete the documentation with your builder and ensure that it is sent through to Master Build Services.

There are several options of a 10 Year Guarantee, from Premium, Standard to Classic. Please visit the Registered Master Builder web site for more information on what these comprise of

What is a Licensed Building Practitioner?

The Department of Housing has set up Occupational licensing with the aims to ensure that people in the building industry who are responsible for the work done are competent and accountable, so that homes and buildings are designed and built right the first time.

This means that from March 1, 2012 any Restricted Building Work will have to be done by a Licensed Building Practitioner. This applies to most residential building or renovation work and only a Licensed Building Practitioner can undertake or supervise the work. 

If you apply for a building consent after March 1 you must make sure that the practitioners you use are correctly licensed to carry out the work.

Visit the Department of Housing Web site for more information on both what is Restricted Building Work, and how to find a Licensed Building Practitioner.


ConsumerBuild is a good web site for information on the process and what to expect on building a house.

ConsumerBuild aims to provide clear, independent and up-to-date information to the public about building, buying, renovating and maintaining houses in New Zealand 

Other Useful links



Buying or Selling a Property in Queenstown, contact The Osborne’s – Warwick, Marie and Megan have been a full service Queenstown real estate sales team since 2002. They have a proven sales track record across all property types at all price levels, they offer sound local know how which is second to none and always focus on getting our clients the best result.




Carters – Your Building Partner. For Building Materials and Advice contact your nearest Carters Store   


 Lakes Environmental


 Lakes Environmental resource management, building control and regulatory services for the Queenstown Lakes District Council (QLDC).